6.7.11

it's July, which means it's almost August, which means it's almost August 31st

Which means my journey to Salamanca, Spain is coming up so fast! That also means I only have a little under two months to work, save, and get ready for a study abroad experience of a lifetime. For those of you who have no idea about the geography of Spain, I have pasted this map to help you out. Salamanca is located left of Madrid, which is located in the center-ish of Spain.


Salamanca is a true "University town". Located in the southwest corner of the Castile y Leon region of Spain, Salamanca has a population of (give or take) 363,000 people. The University of Salamanca, where I will be studying, is the oldest University in all of Spain.

For those of you thinking to yourselves, "Sarah, didn't you graduate already?", I respond that yes I did. But, I was given the most excellent opportunity to take a semester and explore Spanish culture before I step out into the real world. To do so, I had to drop a Spanish class in March, which I could have easily finished, in order to "remain a student" at my University and qualify for the Spanish visa. So technically I have only graduated with my Politics and Government and Latin American Studies majors, plus the History minor. The Spanish major will come after I complete a class in Spain.

My parents and brother are planning a trip over thanksgiving break to come out to Spain and visit. During this time we will be taking the tour of Southern Spain with my group. I anticipate this will be the vacation of a lifetime for them, and a good way to show them a little of what I've learned there. 

Look online, and there are hundreds of beautiful pictures of the city and people; While I could surf the web and show you pictures of the town that are photographed by other people, I'd rather wait and show you through my own lens.

There's still so much to do before I leave for Spain. Shopping for clothing and walking shoes is obviously at the top of this list, but so is finding a decent large size suitcase. I remember when I left from Mexico (although I had almost three more months to accumulate junk), I struggled to fit everything into two large suitcases and a giant (almost illegal) carry-on bag. This is also after I shipped a couple boxes of stuff home. Oops! 

I want to know who will be in Europe from August 31st - December 10th. Marisa will be in Italy, and a few friends will be in Spain with me, but who else?


No comments:

Post a Comment