24.9.12

The Job Hunt

Well friends and family, I'm officially on the hunt for a full-time job. And the hunt started a couple weeks ago, but is in full swing after I take my Foreign Service Officer Test this Saturday. Man, this is a process. I am exploring options all over the map right now, from University and Private Sector Business Development, Fundraising and Marketing to more Governmental focused jobs, to Non-Profit work. So far I have received a few job offers, unfortunately nothing that matched with what I am really interested in. Hopefully here in the next couple weeks I will have a more solid idea of what's next for me. Election day is coming up, which means soon there will not be any more campaign work. I still do have the bartending gig at night, I guess until I find something stable. And while I have been doing some volunteer work to gain more experiences with a couple organizations during this time, the uncertain thoughts about my future are beginning to give me some anxiety.

I think most people who know me, know I always have a plan. I am usually saving for some big study-abroad, travel-abroad trip or getting ready to start some cool internship/job. So now it's a little confusing for people when they say "what's next?" and I answer, "I don't know". I am planning on applying to law schools this fall, and I still have a spot at the Universidad de Salamanca next year should I decide to take it. Also, we're going to see how far I can get with this State Department stuff. But for right now, I don't know. Genuinely. And for the people who know me well, that seems to be an odd answer from me.

People keep asking me, "do you want to live in Ohio"? And I keep saying "I don't really care". I could live in Ohio and be happy, hell I'd probably save some money if I lived at home. But I do realize that most of the big job opportunities fall into bigger cities, and honestly, I could see myself being happy there as well. I know I am hard working, so I'm not too scared about what's to come and where I end up. I know i'll be fine and get myself to where I need to be. It's just this whole not knowing process takes a lot out of a person!

...and, friends and family, that's where I am right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment